M.F.A. in Media and Design
The Master of Fine Arts in Media and Design, a joint offering with the Bilkent Department of Graphic Design, prepares students for careers in design and creative technologies, Film and Media. The M.F.A. in Media and Design emphasizes professional development, innovation, and experimentation in an academic environment.
The M.F.A. in Media and Design combines training in practical methods of media creation and design with coursework in theoretical, interdisciplinary, and comparative approaches to media analysis and criticism.
Seminars and course offerings are lined up along two main focus areas:
- Design & Creative Technologies
- Film and Media
The program provides students with sophisticated theoretical and practical knowledge, enabling graduates to make original contributions to media and design production in Turkish and global media industries. In addition, the curriculum emphasizes applied and artistic research, analysis, interpretation, and constructive criticism of a variety of media platforms.
Prerequisites for admission:
- Completed a four-year undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 2.3 (or equivalent)
- GRE: Minimum verbal and quantitative total of 298 or ALES: 55 (equally-weighted) (ALES is required from resident Turkish citizens who are applying for the program. Turkish citizens who are -residents of foreign countries and those applicants who are not Turkish citizens- may provide GRE scores instead of ALES.)
- English Proficiency: Bilkent PAE (at least C) or TOEFL IBT (87) or IELTS (6.5; each section 5.5)
- Statement of Purpose: 1-2 page, about research interests
- Applicant interview conducted in English
- Candidate portfolio of original media and design works, including fiction writing, drawings, illustrations, graphic designs, scripts, storyboards, slides, photographs, web designs, animation projects, and/or videos
- At least two letters of recommendation
More information can be found under the following link – https://w3.bilkent.edu.tr/bilkent/ gradstudents/media-and-design/
Candidates must complete at least 24 units of coursework in two successive terms, then take two research seminars in their area of interest. Candidates must then prepare a thesis project related to media and design that also contains a written component. The duration of the program is four semesters.
Tuition & Scholarships:
Scholarships up to 50% of the tuition fee are available and can be granted based on the evaluation results of the admission process.
Details about tuition fees can be found under the following link – https://w3.bilkent.edu.tr/bilkent/ tuition-fees/
Vis. Assist. Prof. Andreas Treske